1/6/22   —  It’s January. Did your chapter pay any independent contractor $600 or more? Then you need to issue a 1099-NEC and send a copy to the person you paid (director, for example), a copy for your files, and a copy for the IRS with the cover sheet form 1096.

You can get these forms from the IRS. You are not allowed to download and print that form. There is a color issue. Go to, click on Employer and Information Returns and order the two forms. Keep scrolling. Make sure you ask for 1099-NEC AND 1096.

When done selecting scroll to the bottom of the page to finish the ordering (no cost). I always order 2 of each form in case I make a mistake. They will mail you the forms. 

If you need help, email or call me at 541-895-3239.


The big three are, of course,

  • maintaining your corporate identity as a non-profit corporation with your state or province,
  • filing (if required, Canadian treasurers) a form 990 or your CRA with your appropriate agency, and
  • completing a financial review.

BHS requires all three be reported to them in the Member Center and the file should also be uploaded there. (No, I don’t need them, but if you want me to view them I don’t mind.)

You may also see occasional changes to BHS information. If you need something we are not providing, contact the Evergreen treasurer.

Don Thorn 541-895-3239

Evergreen District Treasurer

Don Thorn
Phone:  541-895-3239

IRS Tax Form 990-N 

Most chapters have to do the IRS tax Form 990-N. Click HERE for a detailed set of instructions on how to do so. From the very beginning.
You can also find it by going to and doing a search for “5248.” 

BLMF wants to encourage new ideas and projects to attract singers and fans to barbershop harmony. 

BMLF is funded by individuals who have seen the impact music can have in a person’s life.