Conventions and Contests
In 2022, EVG is planning to return to our normal convention/contest cycle as shown here.
Each Division holds a convention in the spring, with competitions held for choruses and quartets from the chapters within each Division. The contestants with the highest scores from the Division contest qualifies to compete in the District Contests in the fall. One of the Division Contests includes an International Quartet Preliminary Contest, where quartets scoring sufficient points will go on to represent the District at the Barbershop Harmony Society’s International Contest in that summer. Evergreen District’s Fall Convention is where qualifying choruses and quartets compete for the District Championships.
The chorus winner of the Fall District Chorus Contest becomes the District Chorus Champion, and goes on to represent the District at the International Chorus Contest the next summer. Should they win the International Contest, they must sit out of competition for two years; otherwise they may return again to Division and District competition each year. The winner of the Fall District Quartet Contest becomes the District (Quartet) Champion, and is retired from further competition at the Division and District levels, although the may continue to compete each year at the International Preliminary Contest in the spring, and the International Contest in the summer. Unlike International Chorus Champions who sit out of competition for two years, once a quartet becomes an International Quartet Champion they are retired from competition permanently.
Coming EVG Convention Dates
Here are the updated “assigned” dates for the Division and District conventions.
* denotes a shared convention and Pre-lims with Div I and II in 2022.
For planning ahead - here are some additional dates to avoid.
There are some exceptions in the assigned dates:
- SAI Region 26 (Western Canada) has conflicts, but they are with all the US Divisions II, IV or V.
- Division III (Alberta) conflicts with Memorial Day, but that has been no problem in the past.
Flexibility: These are other dates available that do not create conflicts:
- 2022: March 4-5, March 11-12 and March 25-26, June 3-4
- 2023: March 3-4, March 10-11, March 17-18, March 24-25, April 15-16, May 5-6, June 2-3
- 2024: March 1-2, March 8-9, March 15-16, March 22-23, April 12-13, May 31-June 1, June 7-8
- 2025: Feb 28-March 1, March 7-8, March 14-15, March 21-22, March 28-29, April 11-12, May 30-31, June 6-7
SAI Region 13
SAI Region 26
Sept 26-Oct 1
There is some flexibility in the assigned Convention dates, should the host chapter have issues with venue and hotel, for example. They may be able to swap a weekend with another Division convention.