HARMONY UNIVERSITY 2022
EVG Director of Education
Hello EVG district mates!! It’s me, Katie Roman, your EVG Director of Education. There have been many conversations about how to better support our membership in both vocal improvement material and leadership training to help all our participants grow and flourish. Especially coming out of the last couple years we’ve experienced.
EDUCATION LIAISON ROLES
We’ve created TWO exciting “Education Liaison” roles for our new EDU (education) team structure. Sound intriguing? Then READ ON!!
The 2 positions are “LIVE” manager and “ON DEMAND” manager. Either manager would cover both sides of barbershop business: either for chorus management/structure/leader training or for the sounds we make aka-anything that supports the vocal production and product of our singing.
- LIVE MATERIAL constitutes anything that requires a warm body sharing education on any topic related to barbershop or the leadership within, whether it be on Zoom or in person. The LIVE EDU role would be somewhat a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to a live instructional event. This includes being the point of contact for chapters looking for ideas and/or needing guidance on how to make their own event happen, working with anyone who approaches the district looking to share their knowledge and assisting them in the appropriate channels (direct to HCNW, share info of chapters who may have shown interest in their specialty, possibly create a new event and invite the district!), being the central contact for and assisting chapters who are looking to broaden their audience for their own educational event, and finally reporting any activity or progress back to the Director of EDU (me) once monthly on any goings on that can be shared with the board. Additionally, this role would report a list of any and all open LIVE goings on throughout the district that can be advertised to the district via the quarterly Timbre. It sounds like a lot? But it’s more about facilitating and encouraging than planning or teaching yourself (unless you feel so inclined!).
- ON DEMAND MATERIAL constitutes anything that has been recorded or created for the purpose of educating in vocal production or chapter leadership. The OD (on demand) EDU role will seek out and/or gather these videos and then send them to be uploaded to the EVG YouTube channel, as well as onto the website. First and foremost, this role will be in charge of reviewing all of the existing chapter leadership training videos, and making any updates or edits to reinforce and align with the EIH initiative as led by our parent organization, BHS. Once this has been achieved, the next step is to gather up any appropriate and available videos created by our EVG membership (and beyond) that can be loaded onto the EVG website. Additionally, this role would create a monthly “EDU ON DEMAND” submission (either an article or a video) for the EDUCATION portion of the Greensheets monthly publication.
Neither role is necessarily responsible for CREATING the content (live or OD) but instead would champion the gathering and facilitation of these educational events/materials and funnel them to the appropriate places. These would be district level positions, but would not serve on any boards or be required to attend any regular monthly meetings. The Director of Education (me) would serve both these roles as their immediate “manager” and would help make any final decisions or untangle any issues that may arise.
Do either of those roles, either LIVE or OD, sound appealing to you? If so, email me directly at EDUCATION@EVGDISTRICT.COM and we can talk more about working together! If not, keep your eyes and ears open as I’m actively looking to fill out this team!
Download EDUCATION LIAISONS description.
HARMONY UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS
Great news! Evergreen District has a VERY limited number of scholarships to attend the BHS Harmony University being held at the Loyola University New Orleans campus in New Orleans, Louisiana, July 24–31, 2022.
Check out our guidelines for applicants and if you (or someone you know) are interested in applying, email me at EDUCATION@EVGDISTRICT.COM as soon as possible!
- Never been to HU before (first timers only!)
- Leader in the chapter (director, board member, music team, etc)
- Will attend majority of classes with the purpose to enrich their chapter (as well as the district when appropriate)
- Must cover own travel as the scholarship is only for the cost of registration (registration includes meals and lodging)